- The number of teeth in a full set. Including wisdom teeth. Which I have.
- The international telephone code of Belgium. To which I’ve been.
- The number of traditional counties of Ireland. The majority of which I’ve driven through.
The age I will be tomorrow.
Or now, depending on when I publish this post. Yes. I share a birthday with Harry Potter, and I may go out tomorrow to watch the final film on the big screen. Such an interesting feeling. I’m not as emotional about birthdays as I’ve been in the past. For good reason? Hm. I still feel like a child so often – bills and taxes and chores, all so baffling. But here are some great things to think about (stuff you dig up as you do do on milestone days):
- Women feel most attractive at 32. Good for me. Excellent for me, actually. Goodbye ugly duckling syndrome! I did wear a brand new bikini today on the beach, all day, and didn’t bat an eye. Shame be gone!
- Women become their mothers at age 32. Not so good for me. I’m seeing signs of it all the time. However, seeing as I’m supposed to be becoming my mother, and as my mother will most definitely be reading this post, I choose to see the positive in this: she worked hard at interesting things, traveled the world, had three kids and earned a PhD in the process, and had a fascinating, creative life. She still does, in fact. Not too shabby. Now if I start chewing with my mouth open, applying blood red lipstick, and start wearing hot pink hot pants, someone shoot me. Love you, mom 😉
My 32nd Year of Being Single. A blog I just discovered. I don’t read it, but it’s a cute concept. The book Bridget Jones’s Diary begins in her 32nd year of being single. I read this book when I was 21. Didn’t think it would be me. Seeing as I’ve now been single for 32 years, maybe I should start reading this blog as a show of solidarity.
- And in the news – Ex-Louisiana Governor, 82, marries prison pen-pal, aged 32. Read the story. Big shot popular politician in the slammer 8 years for extortion and bribery marries this woman who somehow chose him as a pen pal. Lord. Hope for me yet?
- In photographs – in searching “32 years old,” I came across these haunting photos of women, all in their 20’s and early 30’s, all of whom had had breast cancer. The image that brought me there was of “Nikki, 32 years old.” The project is called SCAR Project: Breast Cancer Exposed. Take a look. My mother and both grandmothers had breast cancer. This, my 32nd year, was the first year my doctors found it necessary for me to start having twice-annual ultrasounds. Scary real. In short – women are getting this disease earlier. I don’t want to die of this. So preventable. Check yourselves out every month.
- WINE – finally – had to check 1979 out. It seems my birth year was pretty crap. Well, not total crap, but very mediocre. All around the world. Even the best chateaux in France didn’t make wines in 1979 that could be drunk any more than 30 years. Doesn’t bode well. The best wine of ’79, as this website proclaims, is the Chateau Lafleur. It goes for around $1,600 per bottle, if you can find it. The same vintage of the Cheval Blanc and the Mouton Rothschild 1ere Grand Cru Classe go for $325 and $365 respectively. Must say something about the Lafleur.
There you have it. 32. I plan to work hard. Meditate. Do yoga. And be social. Not try to do these things. I will do these things. Things will move and grow and change and take shape according to my will this year. Because even though my house is a sty, it’s because I say so, and I am a grownup. Now on to watching Harry Potter!
Irene being silly.