Besides the round loveliness of the date (and the fact that I guess it’s in binary code), today is the 3rd anniversary of my aliyah. Yes, 31 minutes remain of my aliyah-versary, the date I “ascended” to the land of Israel. It was a troubled, bizarre, sad, excited time, and I was sick as a dog with strep throat or similar. I just thought I would share.
It’s been a crazy three years, and I continued to be stunned with how time flies faster and faster through adulthood. Often it feels like I’ve done absolutely nothing. Seriously. But that’s not quite so. In the last three years, some of my accomplishments include:
- Finishing and editing my novel (though it still needs another few rounds)
- Going to culinary school (and catering one big party – the extent of my formal career to this point)
- Being published a small handful of times in English-language magazines here in Israel
- Working at an internet startup
- Traveling to India, alone, and surviving
- Traveling to Italy, alone, and surviving
- Learning to live alone and far from support
- Creating and inventing and discovering new communities
- Learning a huge amount about wine and…
- Getting to work for Israel’s best winery
- Discovering Buddhism
- Learning that being a grownup is the same as being a kid but with less certainty so it’s scarier
- Understanding that geography is nothing … hell, I live in Israel, and I’m oblivious sometimes to the happenings in my own back yard … and yet, I could probably rattle off more about Haiti and Pakistan and British politics and the Jon Stewart show than most.
I’ll stop here. So. Happy 3 years of surviving Israel to me! Here’s to hoping the next will be … more fruitful and revelatory. So, according to anniversary tradition – buy me some leather or crystal ware folks!