The monster peppers I received today were sweet, not spicy. I went ahead and stuffed them all. Because of an embarrassing situation that has ensued (we’re out of gas — can you believe it — and we can’t figure out which gas company is ours — stupid, stupid), I had to make something 100% in the electric oven. The approximate steps I took –
- Sliced peppers vertically and de-seeded
- Soaked a combination of quinoa, red lentils, and white rice in boiling water (from kettle) while I –
- Chopped 5 medium tomatoes, 1 onion, 5 cloves of garlic, 1 handful of parsley
- Drained the water from the rice mixture and added to the vegetable mixture
- Drizzled olive oil, added salt, pepper, chili, oregano, and thyme
- Stuffed all of the peppers, set them in a baking pan, drizzled with more olive oil, salt, pepper, ketchup, a couple dashes of soy sauce, and a cup of water.
- Cover with foil, place in a 190 C (390 F) oven for around an hour (keep checking after 40 minutes), until the filling is fully cooked and the pepper so soft it’s practically falling apart.