Not great. My list seems so much more ambitious than I thought. Some things I’ve done:
- Because of a cold, for almost a week I drank endless cups and pots of herbal teas and infusions, meaning, I got plenty of water. Now, not so much.
- Sleep – still averaging 5-ish hours. Not good at all. The discovery of late-night Star Trek TNG on this odd Christian cable TV channel has me mesmerized. I love the show, it’s never on here, and I find it so incredibly strange that it’s METV that airs it. I’m sure it’s a “recruiting tactic” – they’re also the only channel broadcasting American football, and quite a lot of it – rare and popular pastimes for certain populations. I wonder if they actually know what they’re broadcasting – the futuristic Star Trek world is yes, quite an optimistic one, but the show regularly presents messages of tolerance (thinly veiled themes on gay rights and euthanasia come to mind) – basic respect for acceptance of the traditions and values of other cultures, whether or not we agree with them. Things I feel that evangelicals clearly oppose. It’s a very liberal show. Squeezed between shows like the 700 Club, Harvest, and Christian rock shows, it’s so entirely bizarre for me, a firm and unwavering atheist, to watch. This channel has these shows where a Christian “psychic” talks to spirits of dead family members in front of a studio audience. There’s even a show geared to converting Jews, with a host who is a formerly-Jewish, now devout Christian evangelical, spinning the gospel for the “chosen people.” Anthropology. All I can say. I’m happy for TNG. Not sure it’s OK that I’m patronizing them.
- I have, however, been seeing friends – twice per week is realistic, and as it’s emotionally quite pressing, it seems to be a high priority for me.
- I went on a date. I thought it went very well, but I may have received the brush off. Waiting. It’s OK, life goes on. The effort is important.
- I read a whole novel in excellent speed – fantastic feeling. Though not really my cup of tea, I’d been putting off reading the cult-classic, Good Omens. Was a nice way to pass the weekend.
- Creativity and culture – I have made a concerted effort to stop and notice the art displayed in the windows of the galleries in my area, and I did actually attend a group exhibition opening a couple weeks ago. I’ve been thinking about pulling out my clarinet – back in high school I wasn’t a bad player, and I did bring my excellent Buffet Festival with me when I moved to Israel. AND I DID PAINT! Last week I got out a bunch of expensive Italian ink I purchased years ago, made lovingly with things like real gold flake, and I found a box of old thick “panda” oil pastels of my grandfather’s, a prominent Israeli artist until his death 11 years ago. All shades of his favorite color – blue. Here are some of the results, taken on a crappy camera phone.
- Bills – not being paid. Weird. I have the money. I can’t open the mail – it’s overwhelming. It’s quite urgent. And pressing on me. Psychological oddity with me, also keeps me from cleaning my room for months. Though I make a decent effort on the house, the kitchen, public things, some other tasks are near impossible to internalize.
- I’ve been pretty successful at shutting the computer at night and not thinking of work, so I’m proud of myself in that respect. I do need to move forward on expanding my professional goals.
So there is the update. A rather mundane blog entry, but as I felt I needed to keep up the writing momentum, here it is in all its glorious dullness.